[Gta04-owner] hw routing audio patch removed in 3.7?

Andreas Kemnade andreas at kemnade.info
Sat Jun 8 17:14:15 CEST 2013

Hi,

On Sat, 2013-06-08 at 14:30 +0200, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am 08.06.2013 um 14:13 schrieb Andreas Kemnade:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > i am looking through the commit logs and see that Benjamin Deering has
> > sent my hardware routing patch again (that is for example here:
> > https://github.com/radekp/linux-2.6/commit/f43ce5c444de7db988ad214257f4a6ac0e49308d )
> > in January and it was applied to 3.7. Then it was removed due to white
> > noise.
>
> Yes, I tried and removed it again.
>
> >  Under which circumstances there was white noise?
>
> It simply played white noise on the handsfree speaker after using the
> speaker through aplayer for the first time and I did not find any alsa
> control that influenced it.
>
> If I remember correctly, it did not disappear until reboot.

I added it again, and... i had white noise.

> Removing the patch completely made it work again.

looking at my mixer settings, i found the AVADC clock priority setting
not set to hifi. Changing that disables the white noise. But that is
nothing new and the reason is quite obvious.
Do you have still your mixer settings causing the trouble?

> > So maybe i can
> > fix things.
>
> That would be great!
>
> One thing we should fix in this step as well is that there is a dai function
> to set the McBSP to tristate [1].

That seems not to be implemented for the McBSP. So it has first to be
implemented there.

> I.e. we should not work directly with Pinmux in this patch. This
> may even be the reason for the white noise (there are differences
> in the pinmux system in different kernel versions).

Hmm, so put the conflicting McBSP into the platform data and calling the
tristate function instead of the pinmux thing? That is no twl4030
specific code, so somehow it still feels a bit strange to have it there.
But using a tristate function is a step forward.

Greetings
Andreas Kemnade