[Gta04-owner] We need an Android kernel

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Mon Jul 29 14:30:42 CEST 2013

Hi Paul,

Am 29.07.2013 um 14:14 schrieb Paul Kocialkowski:

> Le lundi 29 juillet 2013 à 13:10 +0200, Radek Polak a écrit :
>> none of the issues are fixed in kernel. It has qtmoko's kernel with
>> android staging drivers enabled. All the fixes are done in userspace.
>
>> I backported patch for android to use monotonic clock for input
>> events, reverted y axis and hardcoded calibration for my touchscreen.
>> It also has qtmoko's initramfs so that i can boot between replicant
>> and qtmoko. Besides this it will likely have same bugs as you hit.
>> E.g. gallery for me just shows thumbnails but i cant browse my photos.
>>
> I see, so we're at the same point here (except for the gallery thing, I
> don't have that).
>>
>> So it's not very usable besides that it boots and GUI works. I wanted
>> to add wifi so that it can be used for web browsing but havent managed
>> to make it working yet.
>>
> I will get back to working on Android devices given that the situation
> hasn't improved.

Well it is work and isn't improving by observing...

> I plan to get back to work on Android userspace for
> gta04 as soon as there is a working Android kernel.
>
> Either trying to make an Android kernel work on gta04

After the recent discussions I think it is the more troublesome approach
to make some (old) Android kernel (with its own bugs and deficiencies)
work on the GTA04.

> or waiting for one
> is a considerable waste of my time, so I prefer to leave that to
> competent people and focus on what I do best, which is working on other
> Android phones.
>
> It seems to me like what happens next is up to you: either some real
> kernel works gets and we can move on, or Android on GTA04 will stay in
> this unusable status and people will lose interest as the hardware will
> get older and older.
>
> I think the biggest issue we have here is the DM37x platform. Things
> would have been considerably better with an OMAP 3630, and the best
> choice of all would have been using one of Allwinner's platform, such as
> the A10 or the A13, which have a very active community of
> U-Boot/Linux/Userspace developers.

Did you read my mail this morning? It looks very good with the 3.11-rc2 kernel
and we just need to know what is not working, i.e. real bug reports [1].

And we are really willing to solve these issues - if someone tells us what
is not working to run Replicant on top. If there are no specific reports we
can't fix anything...

BTW: the OMAP3630 IS the DM3730. There was never a public chip
called OMAP3630 - this was the working title what was sold as DM3730.

Like the OMAP3430 sold to Nokia and Palm was made an OMAP3530 in
the public.

And if you think there is lack of community support - it isn't. There is the
BeagleBoard XM using *exactly the same chip* as the GTA04. So each bit
fixed in the mainline kernel tree for the BeagleBoard XM helps the GTA04
and vice versa.

Finally the BB community is at least as active as the Allwinner community
if not more...

[1]: http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-kernel/issues/