[Gta04-owner] Replicant GTA04 : suspend bug

Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli GNUtoo at no-log.org
Thu Jan 31 16:35:31 CET 2013

On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 17:20:17 +1100
NeilBrown <neilb at suse.de> wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Jan 2013 22:23:39 +0100 Paul Kocialkowski <paulk at paulk.fr>
> wrote:

> > > The comment at the top nearly says it all:
> > >
> > >     Don't switch consoles or sync on suspend.
> > >
> > >     Neither of these actions are really needed and can slow
> > > suspend down, so disable them.
> > >
> > > Applying the patch speed up suspend for me, and removed the
> > > switch to text-console and back which was visually disturbing.
> > > When you use auto-suspend so that it happens quite often, this
> > > can become significant. As there were no down-sides I just left
> > > it like that.
> > >
> > > Did you find that reverted the patch fixed a problem?  Can you
> > > provide more details of the problem.
> > > This email seems like the middle of a conversation that I haven't
> > > seen the rest of.  Did it take place on some other list that you
> > > can point me to?
> >
> > We are still trying to find an usable Android kernel that would work
> > with DM37x, and for now, all the combinations we've tried turned
> > out to fail at some point, leaving us facing huge issues each time.
> > We definitely want to add support for the GTA04 in Replicant, but
> > we can't start any work on the userspace if we don't have a
> > complete and usable kernel first. That's why there has been no
> > announcement regarding GTA04 even though we released Replicant 4.0
> > for other devices.
> >
> > The context of that email was a conversation between Alexander and
> > me regarding Replicant suspend issues with GTA04.
> >
> > We'll keep trying to end up with a stable kernel that could be used
> > with ICS, though that would be easier if there was a 3.x Android
> > kernel for OMAP DM37x devices out there. GNUtoo is working to try
> > new combinations while I gave up for now and focused on other
> > devices.
> >

> Suppose that - hypothetically - I wanted to spend a bit of time adding
> Android bits to current mainline so that it would work on the GTA04
> for replicant, what would I look at adding.
>
> i.e. do you have a list of what doesn't work if you try my latest
> kernel?
Since there isn't much in userspace yet, I'll tell
what I found out:
I booted replicant 4.0 (based on Android 4.0 ICS) and I found input
problems: at first the touchscreen didn't work well until I suspend and
resume with the AUX button...then after that the GUI(trebuchet)
crashes...
It may be because of the incomplete wakelocks in the mainline(3.7)
kernel.
I will continue to investigate after FOSDEM.

I'm sorry for the delay, I had to prepare my trip to FOSDEM while
keeping on with work(which is about porting some imx boards to the
device tree booting method in the mainline linux kernel) and
community free software development too:
 * I tried what I mentioned above
 * I added ADB support in 3.7...however it only works when the USB is
   not suspended, and it tends to do opportunistic suspend(I've no idea
   if it comes from userspace or the kernel), which makes it suspend
   and turns off ADB.

Denis.