[Gta04-owner] Modem firmware update

Bob Ham rah at settrans.net
Tue Jan 8 12:52:37 CET 2013

On Tue, 8 Jan 2013 11:14:03 +0100, "Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller"
<hns at goldelico.com> wrote:

>> Can I remind you again? :-)  Is there any word from Option on a modem
>> firmware update?
>
> Since there have been no major problems and the kernel driver patch
> appears to work or other workarounds have been found

I was under the impression that one of the problems was that the modem
requires polling which drains the battery unnecessarily.  To me this is a
big issue.  In my eyes, the manufacturer is liable for the problem and
responsible for fixing it.

> I have not asked
> any more.

I'm not clear about your relationship with Option, could you expand a
little?  You used the phrase "any more", which implies that you've asked
before and more than once.  Have you asked before?  Have Option responded?
If so, what was their response?

> And since we still have only a very small number of units, it is
difficult
> to move them to do anything special for us.

What is it that we need Option to do that is special?  I would have
thought distributing firmware upgrades would be a normal operation.  Do
Option consider an upgrade to be a special operation?

> It may become a little different if we get enough orders to start
> production
> of the A5 boards, because then we most likely get modules with a newer
> firmware. Then, we can ask for help to field upgrade the older boards to
> the same level.

I don't understand why it is necessary to order newer modems in order to
get support upgrading existing modems.  Isn't the support justified by the
fact that the existing modems need an upgrade to fix a problem?

I appreciate any clarification you can give on this issue.  At the moment,
it seems like the manufacturer isn't supporting my hardware but it isn't
clear to me why that is.

Thanks,

Bob

--