[Gta04-owner] Using a GTA04 of as wifi hot-spot.

NeilBrown neilb at suse.de
Thu Jan 3 02:49:38 CET 2013

On Thu, 03 Jan 2013 01:01:55 +0000 Neil Jerram <neil at ossau.homelinux.net>
wrote:

> NeilBrown <neilb at suse.de> writes:
>
> >  - AT_OWANCALL=1,1,1
> >    should result in asynchronous notification of call status. (The last '1'
> >    means async notify).  However that notification only ever appears on
> >    /dev/ttyHS_Control, much like the 'NO CARRIER' when the remote end hangs
> >    up only appears on /dev/ttyHS_Modem.
> >    As I didn't want to use HS_Control in my main modem monitoring app (I
> >    leave that free to send SMS messages) I just used polling with AT_OWANCALL?
> >    to get the status.
>
> What are the status changes that can be notified for a data call?  I
> imagined that a data call should stay up forever or until explicitly
> torn down, but perhaps that's wrong?
>
> (In practice I have noticed times when my data connection went down
> without me asking it - as indicated in QtMoko by the "3" or "G" in the
> title bar being hollow instead of filled in.)

AT_OWANCALL=xxx
just returns "OK", not useful status.  It just starts the call-setup
happening.
The status is reported asynchronously or by polling with AT_OWANCALL?

 The status can be

     0 = Disconnected
     1 = Connected
     2 = In setup
     3 = Call setup failed.

So normally soon after the "AT_OWANCALL=1,1,1" you get
  _OWANCALL=1,1
if it worked an
  _OWANCALL=1,3
if it didn't.

If you poll during this time you get
  _OWANCALL=1,2

If then
  AT_OWANCALL=1,0,1
to shut down the connection, you get
  AT_OWANCALL=1,0
shortly afterwards.

I don't know if you can get other notifications.  Possibly if you lose signal
you get
  _OWANCALL=1,0
Possibly the network can shut the call for whatever reason in which case you
would again get "_OWANCALL=1,0", and you could respond by setting it up again.

In general, I think the data connection does stay up indefinitely.  But
things can go wrong and the protocol needs to be able to deal with that.

NeilBrown