[Gta04-owner] Can't boot QtMoko or SHR with current makesd script

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Mon Feb 18 09:43:21 CET 2013

Hi,

Am 17.02.2013 um 23:48 schrieb Neil Jerram:

> Hi Nikolaus,
>
> Many thanks for all your help with this problem so far.  After
> reflecting, I think the best thing now is to take things slowly step by
> step, starting from your latest email.
>
> "Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller" <hns at goldelico.com> writes:
>
>> If you have the card created by makesd the procedure is different.
>>
>> Power on with AUX pressed and the screen turns red (you can release AUX then).
>> Then, wail until it boots into LXDE. Remove battery and SD card. Then it should
>> boot into LXDE from NAND as described above.
>
> OK.  Using
> http://download.goldelico.com/gta04/20121212-GTA04-Production/, this
> does not work for me.  So already here there is an observable problem.
>
> My exact procedure:
> - Power on with AUX pressed until the screen turns red, then release AUX.
> - Wait until it boots into LXDE.
> - Use LXTerminal and on-screen keyboard to issue "shutdown -h now"
>  command so as to get a clean shutdown.

Ok so far.

> - Remove battery and SD card.
> - Reinsert battery.
>
> At this point you write "Then it should boot into LXDE from NAND as
> described above", but in fact I end up with
> - white screen
> - Power button LED cycling OFF - RED - GREEN - ORANGE - OFF - RED - ...,
>  at about 1 change per second
> - AUX button LED cycling much faster, and fast enough that I can't
>  clearly tell and report the sequence.

Ok, this is an important hint. It means that the boot system is not able
to find any kernel.

If this happens if no SD card is inserted, it can only mean that the kernel
in NAND flash is not found.

> Now I'll remove and reinsert the battery again, and try to note and
> report the stages before this final white screen...
>
> - White.
> - Briefly off.
> - Yellow.
> - Full screen Tux.

This means the boot system is starting up well.

> - White screen with cycling LEDs as above.
>
> In case it makes a difference, my GTA04 is an A3.  Is it possible that
> there's something different about the NAND in A3, and that the latest
> boot systems are correct for A4 but not for A3?

Ah, this may also be important. Your NAND flash may still be empty
because we did not starting to pre-flash it before A4.

> Otherwise, can you suggest how to understand and debug this further?

Repeat the steps above with SD card until it boots to LXDE.

Then use LXTerminal and keboard as above.
Or even better use an USB cable and ssh root at 192.168.0.202
for

	./flash-nand

This will flash the 2.6.32-kernel image to NAND and copy the rootfs
to a jffs in NAND. It will take some minutes and create a longer log,
so connecting to USB could be wise.

After this step the GTA04 should boot into LXDE w/o SD card.

You can also run (before or after flashing):

	./hw-test

to check for (some not all) potential hardware problems.

Finally, it is still not clear why your ext4 kernel does not load from SD.

This is difficult to say without the RS232 console log.