[Gta04-owner] Can't boot QtMoko or SHR with current makesd script

Neil Jerram neil at ossau.homelinux.net
Sun Feb 17 23:48:37 CET 2013

Hi Nikolaus,

Many thanks for all your help with this problem so far.  After
reflecting, I think the best thing now is to take things slowly step by
step, starting from your latest email.

"Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller" <hns at goldelico.com> writes:

> If you have the card created by makesd the procedure is different.
>
> Power on with AUX pressed and the screen turns red (you can release AUX then).
> Then, wail until it boots into LXDE. Remove battery and SD card. Then it should
> boot into LXDE from NAND as described above.

OK.  Using
http://download.goldelico.com/gta04/20121212-GTA04-Production/, this
does not work for me.  So already here there is an observable problem.

My exact procedure:
- Power on with AUX pressed until the screen turns red, then release AUX.
- Wait until it boots into LXDE.
- Use LXTerminal and on-screen keyboard to issue "shutdown -h now"
  command so as to get a clean shutdown.
- Remove battery and SD card.
- Reinsert battery.

At this point you write "Then it should boot into LXDE from NAND as
described above", but in fact I end up with
- white screen
- Power button LED cycling OFF - RED - GREEN - ORANGE - OFF - RED - ...,
  at about 1 change per second
- AUX button LED cycling much faster, and fast enough that I can't
  clearly tell and report the sequence.

Now I'll remove and reinsert the battery again, and try to note and
report the stages before this final white screen...

- White.
- Briefly off.
- Yellow.
- Full screen Tux.
- White screen with cycling LEDs as above.

In case it makes a difference, my GTA04 is an A3.  Is it possible that
there's something different about the NAND in A3, and that the latest
boot systems are correct for A4 but not for A3?

Otherwise, can you suggest how to understand and debug this further?

Many thanks,
     Neil