[Gta04-owner] Can't boot QtMoko or SHR with current makesd script

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Sat Feb 16 20:07:59 CET 2013

Am 16.02.2013 um 19:29 schrieb Neil Jerram:

> "Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller" <hns at goldelico.com> writes:
>
>> Hi Neil,

>> Did you see the Tux before or is it right from the beginning?
>
> Right from the beginning.  It's the only thing that I see.
>
>> In the first case
>> the kernel may simply be hanging, i.e. it is loaded but does not run. I
>> did experience such a thing recently with a wrong PVR/SGX driver compiled
>> into the kernel. This would mean the boot system is generally ok, but the
>> kernel isn't.
>>
>> If the whole device does only show a white screen, the boot system is damaged
>> (or not completely installed).
>
> Am I correct that "installed" means "installed to NAND"?  And that it
> should in principle work to have a boot system in NAND only?

NAND should have installed:
* X-loader
* U-Boot
* images
* boot.scr

to be useable.

Alternatively, you can have on a SD:
* MLO (variant of X-loader)
* U-Boot
* images
* boot.scr

If you have neither of both, obviously you can't boot.

>>> Could it be that there isn't yet a stable boot system (from
>>> http://download.goldelico.com/gta04/) that can boot ext4?
>>
>> This one should work, but I have seen that it has a bug.
>
> What do you mean by "This one"?  http://download.goldelico.com/gta04/
> has many subfolders, many of which provide a makesd script.

It hasn't changed for a while (at least 6 months) except that each
version in the archive (this is what the subfolders are) should have the
correct

>> [ "$SERVER" ] || export SERVER=

line or it will install a different version than you think.

>> It did reference the
>> kernel files from the current unstable kernel. I.e. you can't correctly
>> boot with it.
>>
>> The $SERVER line should read as:
>>
>> [ "$SERVER" ] || export SERVER=http://download.goldelico.com/gta04/20130130-GTA04-last-2.6.32
>
> OK, from that I guess you probably mean to use the makesd in
> http://download.goldelico.com/gta04/20130130-GTA04-last-2.6.32.  In fact

Yes, this is the last one. The last one used in factory is:

http://download.goldelico.com/gta04/20121212-GTA04-Production/

The current unstable is work in progress to make a complete 3.7 based
recovery and hw-validation image for NAND.

Hope this helps,