[Gta04-owner] Can't boot QtMoko or SHR with current makesd script

Neil Jerram neil at ossau.homelinux.net
Sat Feb 16 19:29:49 CET 2013

"Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller" <hns at goldelico.com> writes:

> Hi Neil,
>
> Am 16.02.2013 um 19:05 schrieb Neil Jerram:
>
>> Neil Jerram <neil at ossau.homelinux.net> writes:
>>
>>> However, now when I take out card #1 and put back card #2, I can't boot
>>> anything on card #2.  All I see is the white screen; it stays there for
>>> at least several minutes with no indication of ever doing anything else.
>
> Did you see the Tux before or is it right from the beginning?

Right from the beginning.  It's the only thing that I see.

> In the first case
> the kernel may simply be hanging, i.e. it is loaded but does not run. I
> did experience such a thing recently with a wrong PVR/SGX driver compiled
> into the kernel. This would mean the boot system is generally ok, but the
> kernel isn't.
>
> If the whole device does only show a white screen, the boot system is damaged
> (or not completely installed).

Am I correct that "installed" means "installed to NAND"?  And that it
should in principle work to have a boot system in NAND only?

>>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Could it be that there isn't yet a stable boot system (from
>> http://download.goldelico.com/gta04/) that can boot ext4?
>
> This one should work, but I have seen that it has a bug.

What do you mean by "This one"?  http://download.goldelico.com/gta04/
has many subfolders, many of which provide a makesd script.

> It did reference the
> kernel files from the current unstable kernel. I.e. you can't correctly
> boot with it.
>
> The $SERVER line should read as:
>
> [ "$SERVER" ] || export SERVER=http://download.goldelico.com/gta04/20130130-GTA04-last-2.6.32

OK, from that I guess you probably mean to use the makesd in
http://download.goldelico.com/gta04/20130130-GTA04-last-2.6.32.  In fact
I already did that earlier (including the correct SERVER setting that
you've just described) and saw some different symptoms from what I've so
far reported.  Namely that the boot menu appeared, but there was no
effect when I tried to press one of the SD buttons.  I can't remember
whether or not I was pressing AUX in that case.

Maybe I was just a bit unlucky.  I'll try preparing an SD card with that
version again, and see if I have better luck.

>> Or could it be that I need boot files in partition 1 of my card #2?  At
>> the moment that partition only contains the following.
>>
>> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root    1242 Feb 15 19:45 bootargs.scr
>> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2915312 Jan  1  2000 uImage
>
> Looks ok, but appears to be a 3.7 kernel uImage (it is a little smaller).

Yes, this is a copy of the current QtMoko kernel, per the following
instructions from http://sourceforge.net/projects/qtmoko/files/GTA04/:

    cp /mnt/p2/boot/uImage /mnt/p1
    cp /mnt/p2/boot/bootargs.scr /mnt/p1

(I don't know why the instructions say that, but I followed them anyway.)

Regards,
        Neil