[Gta04-owner] Trimming email quotations (was: Camera and PVR/SGX patches for Kernel 3.7 - need help)

Bob Ham rah at settrans.net
Thu Feb 14 17:35:40 CET 2013

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 03:37:14PM +0100, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:

> Am 14.02.2013 um 14:03 schrieb Benjamin Deering:

Guys.  Seriously?!  You do not need to quote the entirety of the
coversation so far!  I'm sorry but I feel I have got to say something
about this because it's got to such ridiculous volumes of data in this
thread but it occurs in other threads as well.

Here is a section from RFC1855¹, Netiquette Guidelines:

    - Be brief without being overly terse.  When replying to a message,
      include enough original material to be understood but no more. It
      is extremely bad form to simply reply to a message by including
      all the previous message: edit out all the irrelevant material.

Here is a quote from the linux-arm mailing lists ettiquette²:

    'If you are including the original message in your reply, always
    edit the message such that it only quotes the sections which are
    relevant to your reply. Don't just quote the whole of the message
    to which you're replying.'

This is from an old guide on USENET and mailing list netiquette, in
the section "Top-posting and trimming"³:

    'Posting a "me too" comment at the bottom of a 100+ line message
    is no better because people have to scroll all the way down
    through 100+ lines they've already read in order to see your
    one-liner. One word comes to mind for that: frustrating.

    The generally accepted "right way" of doing things is called
    "inline posting", whereby you insert your comments straight after
    that on which you are commenting, having stripped unnecessary text
    from the original quoted text.'

I understand that you're engaged in productive work and I don't mean
to distract from that but I feel I have to ask you to please respect
convention, and the IETF RFC, and try to remember to trim quoted mails
before sending.

Thank you for your attention.  This has been a public service
announcement on behalf of Netizens For A Cleaner Network :-)

Bob

¹ http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc1855/
³ http://linux.sgms-centre.com/misc/netiquette.php#toppost

--