[Gta04-owner] uptime of rtc (unusual usage pattern)

Radek Polak psonek2 at seznam.cz
Wed Feb 13 13:42:08 CET 2013

On Wednesday, February 13, 2013 09:37:25 AM e.waelde wrote:

> Ok, I took your information as a trigger to test this again:
> I did a full load on Sun evening, then I shut down the device
> (long press on power, select "shut down the device").
>
> 9h
> I booted it up on Mon morning, the battery indicator was
> still green at approx. 80% or so (hard to judge visually).
>
> 24h
> on Mon evening the battery indicator was at approx. 40%.
>
> 35h
> just now (Tue morning) I bootet it again, the battery indicator
> was red at approx 10%.
>

> So lets for the argument assume that the battery in the
> *shut down* device lasts 40 hours. That would mean that
> I had to charge the device every 2 days.
>
> This is far away from the gta02, which I could leave shut down
> for at least 14 days without being afraid of the battery
> being empty.

> 1. My battery is really worn out. How to jugde?
>    I do have a second battery which I can test. But so far
>    I have not had any hints that one of them would behave
>    significantly different.
>
> 2. something is not shut down after all
>    I do remember a discussion about the gsm modem not being
>    shut down properly, however I would need to search the
>    archive.

Yup, currently QtMoko keeps modem powered on. But you can power it off from
command line as described here:

	http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-kernel/page/Wireless/

The commands are:

	echo 1 >/sys/devices/virtual/gpio/gpio186/value  # stops operation (but
not power)
	sleep 1
	echo 0 >/sys/devices/virtual/gpio/gpio186/value  # 1->0: off
But for some reason it currently does not save more power - it's best just to
suspend the phone.

If you want to measure the power consumption accurately you should use
/sys/class/power_supply/bq27000-battery/charge_now. It was described by Neil
Brown on the mailing list some time ago. The formula is someting like:

	(first_charge_now - last_charge_now) * 36 / (last_timestamp -
first_timestamp)

This should give you average current the power the phone was consuming in time
interval.

For detecting if phone is on charger you should use:

	/sys/bus/platform/devices/twl4030_usb/vbus

Btw it's not the same as battery charging - battery can discharge even when
charger is plugged.

Regards

Radek