[Gta04-owner] uptime of rtc (unusual usage pattern)

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Mon Feb 11 10:59:26 CET 2013

Am 09.02.2013 um 18:44 schrieb e.waelde:

> Hello,
>
> after talking briefly to someone at the FOSDEM stand, it
> was suggested to raise this here.
>
> Q: How long is the onboard RTC supposed to run, when the
> battery is removed from the GTA04?

only as long as you need to swap batteries.

The GTA01 and GTA02 did have its own 10mAh LiIon
battery cell and that did last much longer than the Supercap
we have in the GTA04.

So you may ask why we did change it? The reason is that
such batteries are no longer produced because it is too
difficult to get them as production reels into air freight
(LiIon is potentially dangerous as you can see with the
Dreamliner).

> Background:
> I do carry the phone (GTA04) with me almost all the time,
> however, it is switched off. I don't need it to be available
> to others. After finding out that the battery on gta04 drains
> rather fast even after shutting down the device, I do remove
> the battery from the case.

Opps, that should NOT be the case. If the system is shut down
through the TPS power controller and the Modem is properly
shut down, the full system should not draw more than some
uA. If it does, there is some bug in the shutdown software.

> So when I want to use the phone, I boot it. However, if I
> remove the battery for more than 12 h or so, the time on
> the device is back to 2000-01-01 00:00:00. I used to switch
> off the phone for maybe 2 weeks on average, but losing time
> annoys me.
>
> Any ideas?

Well, I run ntp and 30 seconds after booting and connecting
to a USB host with IP forwarding the clock is correct again...