[Gta04-owner] bq27000-battery: battery is not calibrated! ignoring capacity values

Bob Ham rah at settrans.net
Mon Feb 4 16:12:39 CET 2013

On Mon, 04 Feb 2013 12:18:25 +0000, Bob Ham <rah at settrans.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Feb 2013 17:06:54 +1100, NeilBrown <neilb at suse.de> wrote:

>> The first is if the BQ27000 in your battery doesn't think that it is
>> calibrated.
>
> I think this is the case.

> My battery was from a GTA01 developer kit

On the other hand, perhaps this isn't the problem.  Looking at a
battery-related page on the Openmoko wiki:

Temperature control
gta01, BL-5C, BL-6C	thermistor
gta02			bq27000

--
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Battery_Questions_and_Answers#Hardware_capabilities

Apparently there are two types of battery, one for the GTA01 and one for
the GTA02.  My battery has never had a BQ27000!

This raises a big issue: there are two battery types in the wild for the
GTA04 but all the GTA04 software (kernel and userspace) seems to assume
that there is only one type of battery.  This has far reaching
consequences.

For the moment, the software side limits the use of the GTA04 such that it
cannot be used effectively when replacing a GTA01 motherboard.

Further than that, looking at sheet 5, "Clock and Charger" of the
Schematics section of the GTA04A4-4 system manual, I see the words "Battery
contains BQ27000".  This is quite alarming.  Nikolaus, can you confirm that
the GTA04 will operate safely with a GTA01 battery containing no BQ27000?
Particularly, will it charge safely?

--
Bob Ham <rah at settrans.net>

for (;;) { ++pancakes; }