[Gta04-owner] Faster flashing of the hw-validation rootfs

EdorFaus edorfaus at xepher.net
Sat Feb 2 17:59:25 CET 2013

Hi,

I finally got around to upgrading my GTA04, and started by upgrading the
hw-validation image to the latest stable (20121212).

In so doing, I noticed that flashing its rootfs to NAND actually does a
compress-decompress cycle on the data (with gzip) while copying it to
flash (using tar).

The attached patch removes this (as far as I can see) unnecessary
compression, which almost halves the time needed to flash the rootfs, as
timed by running "time ./flash-nand":

I got these times for the patched script:
real	7m58.643s
user	0m9.039s
sys	6m22.508s

and these for the original:
real	15m32.704s
user	7m23.914s
sys	6m45.523s

which means that the original script takes about 1.95 times as long (in
real time) as the patched version.

Regards,
Frode Austvik

PS: I timed the patched version first, so any cache effects should
benefit the original more than the patched version.