[Gta04-owner] ANN: first replicant 4 with 3.12 kernel available

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Sun Dec 15 17:05:10 CET 2013

Hi Alexander,

Am 15.12.2013 um 11:04 schrieb Alexander Rumyantsev:

> Hello
>
>>> Addition:
>>> Some small, but visible, improvement:
>>> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-rRgKAzYyoBX0RfanRIMjFLTUU/edit?usp=sharing
>>
>> Hi, this sounds pretty good!
>> I would like to give it a try in my setup and possibly apply your
>> changes to our 3.12-replicant4 kernel tree. Would you mind sharing a
>> patch (preferably in git format), which I could apply to my kernel tree,
>> to test your work?
>
> In case that I experiment was different versions of android and kernels I have a lot of
> tarballs, but have not normal git repo, except of replicant. So I need a time to produce
> patch in git format for your repo.

Hm. You should think about using git for any kernel work or you don't make the rest
of the world happy...

> The tarball  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-rRgKAzYyoBbDFweFNOVzNBSjg/edit?usp=sharing
> is my working kernel-3.12 source ( copied from your repo some times ago ), so I prefer you will produce
> patchs youself based on this tarball, diff file and current state of your repo.

Well, this would be very easily done if you had used git (even on a local repository only). Creating proper
patches from tarballs afterwards is quite complicated, the more the original basis has diverged. You just
say "copied from your repo some times ago", so you more or less ask us to guess which version you did start
from. Even if we guess right, we only get a big set of diffs, without a commit message describing what has been
changed by whom and when and why. This is almost useless for basing further work on it (e.g. getting
it accepted by kernel.org or others).

Because the whole kernel development community did have to solve similar problems (and others)
almost every day, they invented git some years ago and to me it works fine (after needing a lot of
time to become familiar with the git command line interface).

If we were here on the kernel.org list (LKML), the first question would be why others should create
your patches if you are interested that they are considered? I.e. the sender of information should think
about the format (language) the recipient can accept. And that is usually a git patch for kernel related
work.

So please improve your code development environment to the benefit of all and provide well formatted
patches for your really important work.