[Gta04-owner] Firefox OS for gta04

Josua Mayer josua.mayer97 at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 9 23:58:36 CET 2013

Am 09.12.2013 21:31, schrieb Belisko Marek:
> Hi,
>
> I found following when browsing internet :
> http://www.philipp-wagner.com/ffos-for-rpi/manual/
>
> When this OS can be ported to RPI it also can be ported to gta04 :).
> Anybody is willing to work on that or working already?
>
> BR,
>
> marek

Hi

I have indeed been trying to work on this already. But the result ist
still minimal.

These are the issues I encountered already:
1) the meta-tree he published on github requires rpi as a device, and
the package and image names contain "rpi". Now this is not a real issue,
can be renamed and a bit organized.

2) create a minimal image. I think the meta-smartphone layer could be
used since it provides packages for the kernel, bootloader and who knows
what else. But a minimal image might only need the kernel for a first
try. Sadly, meta-openmoko (part of meta-smartphone) has quite a few
dependencies so a lot of meta-layers need to be added to the
layers.conf. Maybe SHR should be used as a base distro? But then, X.org
is not wanted for FirefoxOS, especially since 3D acceleration for xorg
is not that likely to be available anytime soon, while framebuffer
acceleration has been available in our 2.6.32, 3.2 and 3.7 kernels already.
So many question, openembedded is not that straight-forward to use, and
it needs time.

Additionally, its not FirefoxOS thats been ported. Its just a build of
the Mozilla Browser for framebuffer. I have been reading up on FFOS
structure a bit and found that the current state of phillips work is the
UI part of Gonk. Gonk is the operating system providing hardware
abstraction and a graphical HTML Viewer. Then there is Gaia, which is
the actual UI of FFOS, solely in html, css and javascript and supposed
to be displayed by gonk.

Even though I started to look at this already, I found that it takes
time I dont currently have, maybe I'll have some more around christmas
but getting FirefoxOS working is high on my wishlist.

Greetings
Josua Mayer