[Gta04-owner] GTA04 Production Status

Boudewijn wankelwankel at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 30 21:37:58 CET 2012

On Tuesday 30 October 2012 17:14:06 Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
> Hi all,
> since last Friday things have developed very positively.
>
> Results are excitingly good. Much better than with the big
> reflow machine.
Great!

> Therefore I asked them to do some tests to simply solder
> a second time some boards that had some minor issues
> (e.g. no sound, no GPS, no WLAN etc.) and therefore did
> pile up instead of being shipped. In some cases this simple
> resoldering was sufficient to make the hardware bugs go away.
That's very good to read.

> So they continue with this hand-operated machine to produce
> the still missing boards. And tomorrow they will start to
> resolder/rework the others.
>
> This means:
> * some more boards are now ready for immediate shipment
> * I have already notified the next buyers on the waiting list
>    to confirm their shipment address
> * there will be as many boards to ship by end of this week
>    as in the past 2 months, i.e. more than we can test, flash and
>    pack immediately
> * I expect that we can now work through the backlog quite
>   quickly
> * So if you ordered the installation service, please prepare
>   to send your GTA02 to us.
Those are "amazing" points ;-)

> What makes the vapour phase soldering machine so much
> better?
>  (...)
> And, it uses a lower temperature! This finally reduces the
> warpage of the DM3730 chip we had already been fighting
> with for a while.
>
> When choosing a production facility for future GTA boards
> we will keep this in mind and check if they have such
> a soldering machine :)
Thanks for the introduction to this way of soldering. It sounds simple enough
;-)

At first sight/search I got the idea that vapour/condensing soldering is
relatively new, compared to convection soldering. Is that the reason such a
machine was not at our production company to try that out earlier? Any idea?
Good they did (was it more or less by coincidence, or was it aimed at solving
our production problems?)

Thanks for the update!

Best regards,

Boudewijn