[Gta04-owner] Host AP mode

Christoph Mair christoph.mair at gmail.com
Tue May 29 23:11:01 CEST 2012

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 10:45 PM, Andreas Kemnade <andreas at kemnade.info> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I found out that
> http://corysohrakoff.wordpress.com/2011/09/13/enabling-wifi-ap-mode-on-a-gumstix-overo/
> is a good howto about host ap mode.
> It is about using an alternate driver for the wifi chipset (libertas_tf)
> which uses a thinner firmware, so the host can do ap mode. I could
> configure hostapd so that I have an unencrypted accesspoint.
> The libertras_tf driver needs some
> #include <linux/module.h> to work with 3.2 kernel. I have used hostapd
> version 1.0.
> Normal infrastructure mode does also work.

Great! The last time I gave it a try I could not connect to my
network; scanning worked fine.

> But my earlier mentioned wifi performance problem with 3.x, which does
> not exist in 2.6.32, is not better with the libertas_tf driver.
> Could the SD/MMC host driver be the bottleneck?

I tried to debug the MMC interface and found out that the chip
interface runs at 25MHz. I've read somewhere that the module should
support up to 50MHz but I could not convince the module to use this
speed. Anyways, 25MHz with a 4 bits wide interface should be enough
for everyone [TM].

Unfortunately I could not find out why the chip does not use higher
data rates than 5MBit/s. I've seen very short periods where iwconfig
displayed higher data rates (up to 48MBits/s) but the value returned
immediately to 5MBits/s when I called iwconfig again (a few times).

Best regards,
  Christoph