[Gta04-owner] 3D printed Shapeways case

Lukas Märdian lukasmaerdian at googlemail.com
Wed May 2 12:56:29 CEST 2012

On 02.05.2012 10:30, Bob Ham wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-05-01 at 18:06 +0200, Dr.H.NikolausS wrote:
> At present, we do not have this.  As I understand it, Slyon's cases do
> not fit together properly and so we cannot build a complete GTA04 case
> from them yet (has this changed?)  There are also no case component kits
> available.
>
> I think it would be more advantageous to spend time dealing with these
> basic problems.  That way, we will have a solid base from which to build
> more advanced designs, including designs that incorporate a keyboard.
>
> Also, I believe we should not limit ourselves to the existing case
> shape.  I will say more about that in a separate email to the GTA04
> list.

Actually my latest prototype case fits together pretty well and is
suitable for daily use (if you use the CaseKit replacement parts like
earpiece, vibracall motor, ...).

I've done some improvements to it, which I didn't have the possibility
to test, yet. Therefore I didn't announce anything new until now. But
this very latest version was presented at the Openmobility conference.

But still, the very latest (and probably pretty usable) version is
available [0] and ready to use. There are a few people out there, who
already have one.

I've also had access to a RepRap at FOSDEM and did experiment with it
(image attached). But my conclusion is, that RepRaps just aren't precise
enough (yet) to print the very fine structures needed for a GTA04 case.
It's probably possible do design a very basic case, which is printable
by a RepRap, but the question is, if this is good/comfortable enough for
daily usage..

Some RepRaps seem to evolve in a pretty good direction already. My top 3 is:

http://reprappro.com/Huxley
http://www.wix.com/3dprinterfaq/veloso3d
http://store.solidoodle.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=56

But still there is the problem with non-printable overhangs and
availability of those RepRaps.

Cheers,
  Lukas 'Slyon' Märdian

[0] http://blog.slyon.de/3d-printed-gta04-case/