[Gta04-owner] Discussion: what are your dreams for the Openmoko Community

Christ van Willegen cvwillegen at gmail.com
Tue May 1 06:37:13 CEST 2012

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 05:46, NeilBrown <neilb at suse.de> wrote:
> Maybe instead of asking "what would you like to see" (which certainly does
> have a place) we should be asking something more down to earth, immediate,
> and practical.
>
>  - what are you working on?
>  - what have you recently achieved?
>  - what one thing would you like help with?

At the moment, I'm working on nothing GTA-related, since I don't have one.

I made a few patches to the SHR dialer and SMS application to
implement a few features ('Suggest' button that shows a popup with
contacts that have the part of the number your dialled in their
contact info, and '...' buttont that lets you select a phone number
from your contacts list to insert into an SMS). I also looked into
Navit to see if I could speed it up a bit, but since it's hard (for
me) to get it to build, I couldn't test it on the device.

I would like to be able to contribute more, but setting up a working
build system always seems to be a major PITA! It's taken me many hours
over many attempts to get SHR to compile and build. And then, when I
make changes its hard to get them to the device to test. And if it
doesn't work, you're left with plain old 'dump to a file' debugging...

If building, installing and testing were easier, I'd try to get
involved in UI programming.

Christ van Willegen
--
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0