[Gta04-owner] Discussion: what are your dreams for the Openmoko Community

Christ van Willegen cvwillegen at gmail.com
Tue May 1 06:37:13 CEST 2012

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 05:46, NeilBrown <neilb at suse.de> wrote:
> Maybe instead of asking "what would you like to see" (which certainly does
> have a place) we should be asking something more down to earth, immediate,
> and practical.
>  - what are you working on?
>  - what have you recently achieved?
>  - what one thing would you like help with?

At the moment, I'm working on nothing GTA-related, since I don't have one.

I made a few patches to the SHR dialer and SMS application to
implement a few features ('Suggest' button that shows a popup with
contacts that have the part of the number your dialled in their
contact info, and '...' buttont that lets you select a phone number
from your contacts list to insert into an SMS). I also looked into
Navit to see if I could speed it up a bit, but since it's hard (for
me) to get it to build, I couldn't test it on the device.

I would like to be able to contribute more, but setting up a working
build system always seems to be a major PITA! It's taken me many hours
over many attempts to get SHR to compile and build. And then, when I
make changes its hard to get them to the device to test. And if it
doesn't work, you're left with plain old 'dump to a file' debugging...

If building, installing and testing were easier, I'd try to get
involved in UI programming.

Christ van Willegen
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0