[Gta04-owner] group tour donations

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Sat Mar 31 13:30:37 CEST 2012

Hi Arne,
sorry for the delayed answer.
+
Am 30.03.2012 um 21:25 schrieb arne anka:

> hi,
>
> unfortunately I somewhat lost track of the donations state.
> just read the page again (http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/GTA04_Group_Tour_Donations_Hub) and see that there are indeed a few entries for both sides.
>
> are any of those transcactions closed already? if so, could you please indicate that, so one knows who still needs help?

Unfortunately, I don't track that so please contact them directly. I know that Christ van Willegen has sponsored 3 units and we have found only 2 people so far who really can contribute (kernel development and major project ideas).

> I did not register there, because I a) lost my credentials for the wiki long ago and b) don't really have a pet project I want to further, but rather GTAXX development as such.
>
> after the original group tour fell through, I just checked my bank account and think I can up my already planned donation, which means I'd like to split it between a donation to the project (to cover the gap between the advertised price for a 100% sale and the new price with only 41%) and someone still in need of help.

It appears that there have been more guys interested in supporting others to buy a device than people interested in getting a subsidized one.
Well, the requirement was that they do something useful with it... So my impression is that our community consists of 90% "open-source-consumers" (who want to make a bargain and want to have a perfectly working - open - device) and 10% "open-source-developers" who understand the technical and economical aspects of such a project - besides those for society.

> ATM I'm thinking of maybe 150 € for each (maybe more, if worse comes to worst).
>
> Nikolaus proposed some kind of scheme to ensure, such help will be indeed used to purchase a GTA04 -- is it in place yet?

The idea was that the person having a project proposal contacts someone doing a donation and they somehow arrange themselves who is paying whom and who is finally ordering.
Generally, if we receive donations directly (not tied up to an order), we will use that to compensate for the cost of components and labour.

But things are now going almost well (except that it could have been more pre-orders and everything should be much less expensive of course).
Just yesterday we did have a meeting with the production company to fine-tune plan the production of the reduced number of units.

And, we now have some hope that after producing and shipping these units, we start to get the critical mass to initiate another "kickstart" batch.

Best regards,