[Gta04-owner] Partition selection with uboot

Andreas Kemnade andreas at kemnade.info
Wed Mar 28 22:09:50 CEST 2012

Hi,

just if someone is interested, I have put my current uboot setup
at http://misc.andi.de1.cc/menu.tar.gz (it contains just the files I
have changed or added)
It provides a very quickly-drawn parition selection menu when you select
 MMC in the normal boot menu.
>From the selected partition it tries to first load /boot/boot.scr
if that fails then /boot/uImage.bin and then /boot/uImage
So you can easily change the kernel even if you have installed a broken
one (and cannot boot into the system and copy the correct one back) and
do not need kexec. You can happily boot the kernel from another
partition and fix it then.

Well, doing more things in uboot is a bit ugly. So the method Radek did
for qtmoko has also advantages. For example, changing the default device
is a bit easier. In my approach, you would need a userspace script
which patches the uboot config. Well, thats a very simple sed (maybe
from a template) and a mkimage afterwards.
But I just wanted to share what I have done. Perhaps it is interesting
for someone.

BTW: default mmc rootfs partition is mmcblk0p3 here.

Greetings
Andreas Kemnade