[Gta04-owner] (GTA04A3 only...) GPS fixing trouble

Neil Jerram neil at ossau.homelinux.net
Tue Mar 27 20:17:45 CEST 2012

Christoph Mair <christoph.mair at gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 10:13 PM, Neil Jerram <neil at ossau.homelinux.net> wrote:
>> My colleague managed to remove the
>> old switch and install the new one quite quickly, but examination then
>> showed that two of the pins were shorted together.  He tried wicking
>> some of the solder between those pins, but that didn't work
>
> Which two pins were shorted?

I'm afraid I don't remember.

> Was the middle one on top of the chip
> involved? If yes, it's a pain to solder/desolder that because it
> connects to the system ground plane and therefore needs much more heat
> than most solder irons can provide. I used a combination of a hot air
> gun together with a solder iron to rework that beast.
>
>>  The switch was removed,
>> cleaned up and saved up, but unfortunately during that process one of
>> the pads (the bottom left one, relative to the writing on the switch)
>> detached from the PCB.
>
> This pin should be connected directly to the capacitor C1210 which is
> right below the switch. A short wire or a "bridge" made of tin should
> do the trick.
>
>> Is there anyone who can possibly help fix this for me, or recommend
>> someone who could help?  I'd be very happy to send my GTA04A3 anywhere
>> it might need to go, and cover all postage and reasonable costs.
>
> I could probably do it if you send the device to munich, germany, but
> I can't guarantee the shortest RTT. It could take up to a week until I
> can have a look at it.

Thank you, I really appreciate it!  And it really isn't a problem for me
even if it takes months, because I have plenty of GTA04 ideas that I can
still work on in parallel without the actual board.  (And also because I
am very slow :-(.)  I'll email you off-list to discuss more details.

Regards,
        Neil