[Gta04-owner] QtMoko v42

Andreas Kemnade andreas at kemnade.info
Mon Mar 26 22:05:15 CEST 2012

Hi,

On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 17:32:18 +0200
Christoph Mair <christoph.mair at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 5:28 PM, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller
> <hns at goldelico.com> wrote:
>
> > Am 26.03.2012 um 17:11 schrieb Radek Polak:
> >> All GTA04 distros are welcome to use this initramfs too. I can post a video
> >> how it works later...
> >
> > This may allow to simplify the boot.scr so that it removes the u-boot menu.
> > Let me some time to experiment with it - maybe it can also be used for
> > the 2.6.32 kernel and Debian/LXDE so that we have a unique boot method
> > that we can pre-install on the devices.
>
> You could even try to load the 2.6.32 kernel (or any other) using kexec.

Hmm, kexec is somewhat experimental, isn't it?
But for testing newer kernel you won't notice if the new kernel does
not initialize something because the first kernel does.
Then I would try to boot a minimalized kernel for the boot menu and load
a second one after that. There was something called LAB (=linux as bootloader)
setup for some Ipaqs, eg. the h2200.
But that gives extra seconds during boot. Having too many stuff in uboot is
on the other way also not good. Maybe load boot menu on aux button and
boot into some default setup if it is not pressed.

Greetings
Andreas Kemnade