[Gta04-owner] QtMoko v42

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Mon Mar 26 17:28:47 CEST 2012

Am 26.03.2012 um 17:11 schrieb Radek Polak:

> Hi,
> qtmoko v42 for GTA04 is out now. You can download images for SD card and
> NAND/ubifs here [1]. For more info about qtmoko please visit our homepage[2].
>
> List of changes since v41:
>
>  * using initramfs for nice rootfs selection
>  * ntpdate is now installed as part of rootfs image (Yann Dirson)
>  * we have working ubifs images now
>  * fixed atd killing (Yann Dirson)
>  * fixed failed suspends #69 (Yann Dirson)
>  * bluetooth now works on GTA04 (with bt-poweron.sh script)
>  * many build cleanups and fixes (Yann Dirson)
>  * fixed problem with fonts in qvfb (Yann Dirson)
>  * disabled dimming in default gta04 conf
>  * fixed nerongps version to old good one
>  * closing modem before suspend and opening after resume on GTA04
>
> I am continuing to work towards stable gsm calls. For this release i am trying
> to close modem before suspend and open it after resume. As far as i have
> tried, it seems to work. I had no missed calls since i did this change, but
> more testing is needed (you can help here).
>
> I spent a lot of time on booting ubifs from NAND. The result is very tiny
> initramfs [3] that compiled to kernel. Using this ramfs has many advantages:
>
> 1/ you will boot to nice graphical menu with rootfs device selection
> 2/ you can have one kernel that boots from any device you can think of (SD
> card, NAND, NFS, squashfs...). You can even have more distros on one partition
> 3/ it's easily customizable with busybox shell scripts
> 4/ the phone is charging in the bootmenu (unlike in u-boot menu)

Cool. Is the boot menu always visible or can it be skipped to boot some
choosen default?

> All GTA04 distros are welcome to use this initramfs too. I can post a video
> how it works later...

This may allow to simplify the boot.scr so that it removes the u-boot menu.
Let me some time to experiment with it - maybe it can also be used for
the 2.6.32 kernel and Debian/LXDE so that we have a unique boot method
that we can pre-install on the devices.