[Gta04-owner] NAND behavior while flashing qtmoko

Radek Polak psonek2 at seznam.cz
Mon Mar 26 09:35:01 CEST 2012

On Monday 26 March 2012 08:07:18 Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:

> And it requires Radek to provide two different file systems/kernels. One
> for SD card and one for NAND flash. This is IMHO also not optimal.
>
> But I don't know a good solution that is better than automatically setting
> the boot args by boot.scr.
>
> Unfortunately we have another issue: u-boot can't detect if there is
> a jffs2 or a ubifs in NAND. So it can't automatically launch the (single
> version) kernel correctly.
>
> My dream is that kernels and rootfs can be swapped easily and
> independently of each other and u-boot automatically does the
> correct setup. This would simplify installation and reduce the number
> of pure u-boot config issues showing up in user-space functions not
> working properly.
>
> Maybe someone has an idea how to solve that?

Yup, initramfs ;-)

You can try QtMoko v42 here:

	http://sourceforge.net/projects/qtmoko/files/GTA04/

it has one kernel which can boot from everything possible. SD and NAND/ubifs
boot options are builtin but you can provide scripts e.g. for booting from
squashfs image on mmcblk0p4 - whatever you want.

I will write longer mail about this later.

> I have not seen this when using NAND/jffs2 with the Debian/LXDE
> setup. So it might have to do with the QtMoko kernel.

I think we can try 2.6.32 kernel how it works.

Regards

Radek