[Gta04-owner] How could GTA04 shine

Bob Ham rah at bash.sh
Thu Mar 8 23:42:00 CET 2012

On Thu, 2012-03-08 at 12:37 +0100, thomasg wrote:

> I don't think the price is really the matter here. The problem is,
> that there are no panels which are so efficient that this small
> surface will be good for anything.

I don't believe that is necessarily the case.

> Also, the peak performance is really hard to reach, as you say
> correctly, it has to be sunny, you have to point the device in the
> right direction (and angle!), it can't be too hot (the efficiency at
> above 320K temperature will be reduced), so all in all even in good
> conditions you're likely not exceed 70% of the peak performance.

There is a panel here

http://uk.farnell.com/bp-solar/msx-005f/solar-panel-0-5w/dp/654000

which is rated at 500mW; 150mA at 3.3V if I understand the
specifications correctly.  Seventy percent of this is 350mW which is
significant.  In fact, it's exactly the power used by the USB
trickle-charge; 70mA at 5V = 350mW.

This particular panel fits the length of the openmoko case but requires
slightly more width and would need squared corners.  Of course, having
the design files for 3D-printable cases one is not limited by the
existing backplate dimensions or shape :-)

--
Bob Ham <rah at bash.sh>

for (;;) { ++pancakes; }