[Gta04-owner] How could GTA04 shine

Eikka Laakso eikka.laakso at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 11:54:06 CET 2012

I can see this as a proof of concept project if someone wants to build
it. However to be usable even as an emergency battery recharge system it
would require 20 times more powerfull solarpanel. Since it takes
something like 4 days to charge the battery, assuming we can get 50% of
the max power for 12 hours per day. Even in this situation someone would
need to keep the panel aligned with the sun all the time and it has to
be sunny all day. Unfortunately this means that it's not really feasible
to integrate this into a phone. Far better solution would be to have a
bigger solar panel that charges a different battery when you leave it in
the sun. When it's full you'll swap the batteries.

You might have enough power to make an emergency call after a few hours
of pointing the phone to the sun, but it's kind of rare situation where
the call is still relevant after a few hours. There might be a small and
powerfull solar panel out there, but it's not likely to be cheap enough
for consumer use.

  -Eikka