[Gta04-owner] Inertial measurement unit

Andreas Kemnade andreas at kemnade.info
Tue Mar 6 15:22:45 CET 2012

Hi,

On Tue, 6 Mar 2012 17:23:32 +0400
Denis Shulyaka <shulyaka at gmail.com> wrote:

> Since GTA04 has a 3-axis gyro and a 3-axis accelerometer, it is
> possible to build an IMU with 6 degrees of freedom - a device that is
> capable to tell its location and orientation at every point of time.
> It was not possible with GTA02 because it only had 2 accelerometers.
> The IMU could have many interesting applications like quadrocopter
> controller, advanced gestures recognition or a tracking device where
> GPS is not accessible or not accurate enough.
> Imagine yourself painting a picture in the air with your GTA04 instead
> of a brush and then saving it as a jpeg file. Or pointing to a
> specific lamp in your smart house to switch it on or off (which also
> requires some additional hardware in the house though).
> As I know, all this requires some advanced math, that I'm interested
> in. Do you know any open projects of creating an IMU, or any links
> that would help to understand the math behind it?

The main keyword is "Kalman filter" there (to get the orientation).
Every of the sensors has its limitations and you have to combine them to get
good results.
Gyroscopes aren't good for long time things, there you need magnetometers.
in addition (the gta04 has such). Designing a good kalman filter
is very hard. Do not expect too precise results if you do not invest years in
it. Maybe it will be enough for some applications and for a well defined
set of motions.

Greetings
Andreas Kemnade