[Gta04-owner] Inertial measurement unit

Denis Shulyaka shulyaka at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 14:23:32 CET 2012

Since GTA04 has a 3-axis gyro and a 3-axis accelerometer, it is
possible to build an IMU with 6 degrees of freedom - a device that is
capable to tell its location and orientation at every point of time.
It was not possible with GTA02 because it only had 2 accelerometers.
The IMU could have many interesting applications like quadrocopter
controller, advanced gestures recognition or a tracking device where
GPS is not accessible or not accurate enough.
Imagine yourself painting a picture in the air with your GTA04 instead
of a brush and then saving it as a jpeg file. Or pointing to a
specific lamp in your smart house to switch it on or off (which also
requires some additional hardware in the house though).
As I know, all this requires some advanced math, that I'm interested
in. Do you know any open projects of creating an IMU, or any links
that would help to understand the math behind it?