[Gta04-owner] GTA04

Neil Jerram neil at ossau.homelinux.net
Sat Jun 30 13:13:13 CEST 2012

Jose CHARTERS <jose.charters at free.fr> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Sorry, I know that this list is in english. But I need to meet
> somebody to help me. And I live in France.

Hi all,

Following Jose's email to this list, he sent his GTA04 for me to take a
look at.  I then did some experiments with it, by swapping over some of
the movable pieces (SD, SIM and battery) between my GTA04 and his.

The upshot of those experiments is that it looks like his GTA04 has a
hardware problem, and will need returning to goldelico for fixing.
First, however, we agreed to post everything that I've tried, and our
observations, in case readers of this list can propose further
experiments that it would be useful to do.

First, for complete context, here's a translation of Jose's original
report:

> I bought a GTA04 and received it one month ago.  I installed Debian as
> described at http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-rootfs/, using
> binaries from http://download.goldelico.com/gta04/.
>
> It worked.  [Actually I'm not completely sure about the translation
> here, because Jose wrote "Cela a fonctionné, nickel", and I don't know
> what "nickel" means.]
>
> Finding that Debian wasn't well-adapted to finger-usage and as a
> phone, I wanted to install QtMoko instead.
>
> But since then, my GTA04 doesn't turn on at all.  I've tried changing
> the SD card, and reinstalling Debian, but still my GTA04 doesn't come
> on.
>
> I'm wondering if there is a hardware problem, but I don't have the
> means to investigate this myself.

So Jose sent his GTA04 to me.  It may be relevant to note that his GTA04
is an A4, whereas mine is an A3.

I tried the following experiments with it.

1. I removed the battery and SD from his GTA04 (it didn't have a SIM),
and instead put my own SD, SIM and battery instead his GTA04.

His GTA04 screen didn't come on when I inserted the battery, or when I
next pressed the power button.  There was no LED light behind the power
button.

I think that indicates some kind of hardware problem: possibly that the
GTA04 isn't taking any power at all; possibly a more specific problem
affecting both the screen and the LED.

2. I then connected the phone's USB socket to my laptop.  With "tail -f
/var/log/messages" on the laptop, I saw:

Jun 22 21:12:50 neil-laptop kernel: [43587.208071] usb 5-1: new full-speed USB device number 2 using uhci_hcd
Jun 22 21:12:51 neil-laptop kernel: [43587.852071] usb 5-1: new full-speed USB device number 3 using uhci_hcd
Jun 22 21:12:51 neil-laptop kernel: [43588.496083] usb 5-1: new full-speed USB device number 4 using uhci_hcd
Jun 22 21:12:52 neil-laptop kernel: [43589.024079] usb 5-1: new full-speed USB device number 5 using uhci_hcd

So perhaps the phone is at least partly alive after all?

If I then disconnect the USB cable, there are no new message.  If I
reconnect, I see a new set of the 4 lines above.

If I disconnect the USB cable, take out the battery, SIM and SD cards,
and then reconnect the USB cable, I see no new messages on the laptop.

Therefore it seems that seeing those 4 lines _was_ significant, and
indicates that at least the USB port had some power.

3. I put Jose's SD card in my GTA04, together with my SIM card and
battery.  My GTA04 comes on as usual when the battery is inserted.  I
see the bootloader screens, then the screen for choosing between SD and
NAND (where I chose SD), then the first run screens for SHR (which it
appears that Jose put on his SD card, although he doesn't say that
above).

Therefore there wasn't any problem with how Jose had prepared his SD
card.

4. I switched off my GTA04, took out my battery and replaced it with
Jose's battery.  Now the GTA04 doesn't come on at all, indicating that
Jose's battery was empty.

This is obviously a separate problem, and one that I can easily fix
(with the OpenMoko charger, my old GTA02 board and a paperclip :-)).  I
only mention it in case the emptiness of the battery might throw any
further light on his GTA04's apparent hardware problem.

   * * *

That's what I've done so far.  If anyone has ideas for further
experiments that would be worth trying, please do let us know (and
please keep Jose CC'd).

Regards,
        Neil