[Gta04-owner] 3.2-gta04 updated - improved CPUIDLE

NeilBrown neilb at suse.de
Wed Jan 25 11:44:50 CET 2012

Hi again,
 I've just push out some changes to my 3.2 branch:

  git://neil.brown.name/gta04 3.2-gta04

 They mostly relate to CPUIDLE.  The current usage when the device is idle is
 now around 100mA - it was around 200mA before.

 Also the issues with SYNC loss on the video output should be gone.

 This will probably help battery life a little, but as my phone spends most
 of its time suspended, and suspend current is still the same (60-70mA), it
 won't help a lot.

 I don't know if this will have affected the problem with touchscreen input
 getting lost - testing and feedback there is most welcome.

 It is not impossible that what I have done will break bluetooth.  I've made
 changes to power-saving on serial ports and bluetooth uses a serial port...
 I think it should be OK but haven't actually tested.  If someone wants to
 test, that would be cool.

 I've been travelling a bit over the last couple of weeks and had the
 opportunity to use my GTA04 for network access - bare board with some wire
 pegged on to the antenna point.  I got a signal strength of about 8 (out of
 32??) and about 60KB/sec download which I was very happy with.
 Consequently the defconfig now includes netfilter so I can set up
 masquarading and 'tether' the phone to my laptop.

 This release also includes the fixes so that early_printk works as does
 reboot.

 I was going to pull 3.2.1 into this tree but that causes USB to
 break when you suspend/resume, so I didn't.  I'll try
 again when 3.2.2 is out and fix up the issue properly.

 I haven't looked at 3.3-rc yet.  However I know there have been lots of
 changes in areas that I am interested in (e.g. OMAP runtime power
 management) and also know that -rc1 has some breakage in that area.  So I'll
 wait for -rc2 and then update all my patches to apply and see what works.

NeilBrown