[Gta04-owner] GTA04: gyroscope and compass drivers added/made working

Christoph Mair christoph.mair at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 00:01:01 CET 2012

On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 11:50 PM, xdrudis <xdrudis at tinet.cat> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 09:32:34PM +0100, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I have added (or made working) the ITG3200 and HMC5883L drivers
>> in the 2.6.32-Kernel.
>>

> Thanks for your work
>
>> For the HMC5883L there is still some bug where the X channel shows
>> -4096 unless the device is oriented almost upright.
>>

> Is this a bug or it is just measuring gravity ?
> I know nothing of accelerometers nor have I read datasheets, but
> from http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Technical:Accelerometer_Fundamentals
> it would seem detecting 1g in one axis is normal. If you rotate
> the board 90 degrees does it read the same in another axis ?

In this case it is a compass, a magnetometer. It should not measure
gravity (At least I hope so). I somehow tested the chip some time ago
and it worked fine. I'll install the driver on my GTA04A3 and (if
necessary) forward port it to work with kernel 3.2 tomorrow evening if
I have some spare time.

Christoph