[Gta04-owner] Serial cable at FOSDEM.

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Mon Jan 23 08:03:26 CET 2012

Hi Denis,

Am 21.01.2012 um 23:50 schrieb Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli:

> hi,
>
> Would it be possible to get or buy GTA04 serial cables at the FOSDEM.
> (My GTA04 was shipped without the serial cable, I looked in every local
> electronic shop I know and I failed to find the connector).

Yes, that is no problem. I have made a note to bring some cables with me.
And some GTA04 boards.

Fortunately we make miniaturized devices :)

> A serial cable would permit me to:
> * look at the bootloader, and find a (correct) procedure to make the
> installation of SHR on NAND possible(so people could use the microsd slot for
> a microsd containing data like music)

Yes, that would be really good. The basic procedure to copy files (x-loader,
u-boot and uImage from SD to NAND) is already available in the boot.scr,
but that is incomplete because it does not know how to copy an ext filesystem
(u-boot lacks a "tar xjf").

The basic idea is that any distro can provide an SD card image that boots
from SD. And if the user presses the AUX-Button s/he gets to the U-Boot
menu with a "Flash NAND" option. This copies all files that are required
to the NAND flash and afterwards the device boots from NAND.

I.e. to get rid of complex flashing procedures using a host and multiple
tools.

The operation is briefly described at:

http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-rootfs/

(section install in NAND flash)