[Gta04-owner] Openmoko Community Survey 2011 – Results

Eikka Laakso eikka.laakso at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 12:22:08 CET 2012

On 17.01.2012 08:51, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
> Am 17.01.2012 um 07:21 schrieb NeilBrown:
>
>> On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 06:37:12 +0200 Eikka Laakso<eikka.laakso at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> When the kernel problems are gone, suspend works and it is possible to
>>> announce that GTA04 works better after a few months of life than GTA02
>>> after almost 4 years of its original shipping date. That will be the day
>>> when most of the GTA02 owners are willing to place the order.
>> I suspect you are correct.
>>
>>> After Openmoko pulled the rug out, I was angry and didn't want to put
>>> any money on developer hardware unless I was sure. I use my freerunner
>>> as a daily phone and some of the hardware bugs still infuriate me.
>>> However I did participate in the GTA04 group tour since it seems that in
>>> many ways GTA04 is in better shape than my GTA02 was after I already had
>>> it for a year. Only place where I see that there might be a showstopper
>>> hwbug lurking is suspend/standby time, but I'm confident that it's a
>>> software bug or if not, it will be found before the group tour goes
>>> production.
>>>
>>> In my mind you already have created the best phone/gadget/toy/pc in the
>>> universe. Now I just need to have it in my hands with a working kernel :).
>> Maybe we need to get the more boards in the hands of kernel developers....
>>
>>     http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-omap/msg62903.html
>>
>> :-)
> It turns out to be sort of a hen&egg problem...
>
> We need more boards for kernel developers to get more people interested
> in more boards...
We need more boards in the hands of the kernel developers and when we
have confirmed no major hwbugs, we need someone willing to invest money
in the group tour so that it can be done without all the participants.
Single board price is too high for most of the devs and those few
hundred boards are the way to speed things up and to actually make
things happen on this platform.

The easiest way would be to get a bunch of resellers to buy a stock of
ten or so boards. I already tried to get them interested, but most are
still hiding the Openmoko fallout...

So anyone have an extra 100k€ in their pocket and no place to put it ;)?

  -Eikka