[Gta04-owner] Now that 3.2-final is out...

NeilBrown neilb at suse.de
Tue Jan 17 08:30:19 CET 2012

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 07:48:17 +0100 "Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller"
<hns at goldelico.com> wrote:

> Hi Neil,
>
> Am 17.01.2012 um 06:41 schrieb NeilBrown:

> >> IIRC it was mentioned in some older mails that current 3.2 does not boot after
> >> halt command, because something is left initialized. You have to always
> >> completely power if off (remove battery), halt and reboot are for now not
> >> working.
> >
> > It is definitely mentioned in
> >
> >  http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-kernel/page/Mainline-Status/#wikititle_34
> >
> > Unfortunately it freezes before the serial ports are configured so I don't
> > see any messages to help narrow it down.
>
> Maybe a patch similar to this may help:
>
> https://github.com/goldelico/gta04-kernel/commit/591a1ed250bcf4dd9de989f1a566a29e96469dd9
>
> (I think it is incomplete resp. adds to another patch of kernel/printk.c ).
>
> The idea is to bypass the kernel dmesg ring buffer completely and
> flush each character asap. This allows to add printk before the serial
> is initialized.

It should be possible to achieve the same thing by defining
CONFIG_EARLY_PRINTK and CONFIG_DEBUG_LL and including 'earlyprintk' in the
command-line options.
I've tried that and it didn't seem to meet the need I had at the time.  I
don't recall the details.

> I have used this to debug NULL pointer dereferences in the backport
> of the omap-serial.c driver to 2.6.32.

The fact that it worked for you gives me hope - I'll try again.

Thanks,
NeilBrown