[Gta04-owner] Openmoko Community Survey 2011 – Results

Kevin Hremeviuc khremeviuc at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 16 23:52:22 CET 2012

Hi all,

What I want from the general computer that doubles as a phone is as fast a CPU as we can get and the fastest modem we can get for a reasonable price given the low volume constraints. I think what has been done with the GTA04 is on the money and I have been incredibly impressed with the hardware design/manufacture/testing, kernel and driver creation development and QTMoko development. Things just didn't happen in a timely manner with the GTA01 and GTA02.

Let's not forget that OpenMoko had a lot more money and blew it on so many levels. It is possible that we are seeing some of the fallout from that.

As for producing low end phones - I think that the survey results are a classic case of being incorrectly targeted. I can't prove that but given that we are looking at a world market here, even if it is just for geeks, there has to be a good number of people who would want a GTA04. Just look at the Beagle Board and Gumstix stuff. That's geek hobbyist city. The GTA04 can be used for all sorts of purposes and be a smart phone. What we are having a problem with is how to get to these people. I don't have any ideas or skills in this area but someone must. We are missing the mark communication wise and that is all!

Kev