[Gta04-owner] Openmoko Community Survey 2011 – Results

Michael Born Michael.Born at aei.mpg.de
Mon Jan 16 17:15:21 CET 2012

Am 16.01.2012 16:57, schrieb Flemming Richter Mikkelsen:
> [...]
>> Hello Openmoko experts.
>>
>> I'm no hardware or software expert, but I'm interested in the open gta04.
>>
>> Am 16.01.2012 08:53, schrieb Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller:
>>> The discussion of the poll run by Lukas suggested to ask for acceptable
>>> prices for a new Openmoko device.

>> I read that survey and could not understand it :-(
>> I currently use a rather old Nokia phone (just SMS and phone calls). The
>> software choices were even more unclear to me. What are their
>> differences (for me as a dumb user)?

>>> Here are the results (which I think are quite significant):
>>>

>>> Q1: What would be the maximum price at which you immediately
>>>       would buy a GTA04 Complete device (considering its high-end
>>>       feature set)?
>>>       ____ EUR (incl. sales tax if applicable)
>>>
>>> Q2: What would be the maximum price at which you grudgingly
>>>       (unwillingly) would still buy a GTA04 Complete device, if it is
>>>       not available at the price said above?
>>>       ____ EUR (incl. sales tax if applicable)
>>>

>>> Let me describe my first observations from these figures (not deeply
>>> elaborated):
>>>
>>> 3. at the current price of the GTA04 group tour (450-500 EUR range) we
>>> can expect approx. 30% buyers. This would still mean 6000 of the originally
>>> sold GTA02 devices. Hm. We are still far away from this figure with
>>> subscriptions. What are the reasons?
>> The reasons for me to not order the gta04, yet.
>> 1. Following your link to the price survey, I found your offer for a
>> complete gta04 - for the first time. Up to now I thought I have to buy
>> the gta04 board from you and then buy a case, antenna, display,... from
>> other sources. I follow the interesting 3d printing a gta04 case
>> discussion, but I did not see a list where to get the remaining parts to
>> make a real phone out of the gta04 board. For me as a user - I need a
>> complete phone.
>> 2. The phone should be able to solve basic "phone" tasks. On the list
>> there are topics like "3.2 kernel up and running" or "some power saving
>> is improved". I would like to see a minimal goal for the software. For
>> me this would include:
>> - phone calls work
>> - sms works
>> - battery on/stand-by times are announced
>> - all hardware features are working (maybe a small test program for
>> every feature is provided)
>> This milestone should be published through as many news portals as
>> possible. (of course the sophisticated features should be
>> mentioned/shown, but the important thing to me is: gta04 is basically
>> working) (A friend of mine had a gta02 and could barely use it for quite
>> some time. I will not spend €500 on a phone that can't be used)
>>
>> Maybe my reasons are an explanation why the subscriptions are behind
>> expectations.
>
> I have friends (GTA02 owners) that say they will not order because they do
> not have to play with the device (to make it work).
:-) they could buy a beagle board or a bare ARM cpu...

> I think many may share your views.
>
> I know there are many distros available and I believe at least one should be
> able to provide stable phone usage but maybe not on every "release".
>
> Therefore, I think you may need to accept that there might be images that
> works, but upgrading can introduce a risk.
>
> I think (and hope) that we can provide a list with well known working images
> when the experts got the platform fully supported... I cannot say how long
> this will take, but they don't start from scratch (as many distros now exists
> for GTA02).
My point is: just promote ONE image with basic functionality to attract
interested people like me. Give me the feeling that I buy a working phone.
When I have time I will try other images and new features. If they don't
work - ok, I write bug reports and restore the "basic functionality
image" to have a working phone.