[Gta04-owner] Openmoko Community Survey 2011 – Results

Bob Ham rah at bash.sh
Mon Jan 16 16:51:07 CET 2012

On 16/01/2012 13:29, Xavi Drudis Ferran wrote:
> On Mon 16/01/12 13:17 , Bob Ham<rah at bash.sh>  wrote:
>
>> Well, the question I was asking (and I'm just playing devil's advocate
>> really) is: why make a *smart* phone at all? Why not just make a simple
>> "feature phone"?
>>
> The point is that

I'm asking a question of the GTA04 designers; why, in the past, they
choose to design a high-specced "smartphone" rather than a low-specced
"feature phone".  The answer to that question is noteworthy, regardless
of any other issues.

> the GTA04 is already designed and AFAIK the design
> works, so I don't see the point in desiging soemthing else

I'd be very surprised if the GTA04 was the last open phone ever
produced.  That means at some point in the future, a new design will be
created.

> if every device that gets designed is simply discarded
> at this point in develepment

Nobody has proposed discarding any design.

> And besides, I don't see what can be so free in a feature phone.

The software that runs on it can be free.  Both a "smartphone" and a
"feature phone" will run software, for example a dialling application.
That software can be either free or proprietary.