[Gta04-owner] Openmoko Community Survey 2011 – Results

Michael Born Michael.Born at aei.mpg.de
Mon Jan 16 16:21:51 CET 2012

Hello Openmoko experts.

I'm no hardware or software expert, but I'm interested in the open gta04.

Am 16.01.2012 08:53, schrieb Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller:
> The discussion of the poll run by Lukas suggested to ask for acceptable
> prices for a new Openmoko device.

I read that survey and could not understand it :-(
I currently use a rather old Nokia phone (just SMS and phone calls). The
software choices were even more unclear to me. What are their
differences (for me as a dumb user)?

>> Making a price poll is a good idea! We may learn how to better size
>> and define the price for the next group tour.
> Here are the results (which I think are quite significant):
>

> Q1: What would be the maximum price at which you immediately
>       would buy a GTA04 Complete device (considering its high-end
>       feature set)?
>       ____ EUR (incl. sales tax if applicable)
>
> Q2: What would be the maximum price at which you grudgingly
>       (unwillingly) would still buy a GTA04 Complete device, if it is
>       not available at the price said above?
>       ____ EUR (incl. sales tax if applicable)
>

> Let me describe my first observations from these figures (not deeply
> elaborated):
>
> 3. at the current price of the GTA04 group tour (450-500 EUR range) we
> can expect approx. 30% buyers. This would still mean 6000 of the originally
> sold GTA02 devices. Hm. We are still far away from this figure with
> subscriptions. What are the reasons?
The reasons for me to not order the gta04, yet.
1. Following your link to the price survey, I found your offer for a
complete gta04 - for the first time. Up to now I thought I have to buy
the gta04 board from you and then buy a case, antenna, display,... from
other sources. I follow the interesting 3d printing a gta04 case
discussion, but I did not see a list where to get the remaining parts to
make a real phone out of the gta04 board. For me as a user - I need a
complete phone.
2. The phone should be able to solve basic "phone" tasks. On the list
there are topics like "3.2 kernel up and running" or "some power saving
is improved". I would like to see a minimal goal for the software. For
me this would include:
- phone calls work
- sms works
- battery on/stand-by times are announced
- all hardware features are working (maybe a small test program for
every feature is provided)
This milestone should be published through as many news portals as
possible. (of course the sophisticated features should be
mentioned/shown, but the important thing to me is: gta04 is basically
working) (A friend of mine had a gta02 and could barely use it for quite
some time. I will not spend €500 on a phone that can't be used)

Maybe my reasons are an explanation why the subscriptions are behind
expectations.

> 4. a final observation is that I have to conclude that some of us have
> no realistic perception of the market prices.
>
> More than 40% would not want to pay more than 200-250 EUR
> for a complete GTA04 (even with case etc.).
>
> This makes me really puzzled as the GTA02 was never sold cheaper
> than 199 EUR. Isn't getting UMTS, fast 3D graphics any value to the
> majority of the Openmoko community?
>
> The cheapest UMTS Android 2.2 device I can currently get in
> Germany is at 129 EUR (most likely from some overstock clearance).
> Has a 320x240 display, no sensors, no free and open software. No
> hardware description, no schematics. Appears to be crap and much
> less featured than the GTA04. But the poll result indicates this is the
> way we should go. Really?
>
> I wnder how the community thinks it can be done at such low prices?
> One answer (that I don't like at all) could be:
>
> 	http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-child-labor-2012-1
>
> So please prove my last observation and conclusion to be wrong.
Maybe, they are not interested in the sophisticated features of the
gta04, but like the idea of an open phone?
You also did not ask what the person thinks, the gta04 costs to be
produced. The small amount of money could be what the person would be
able to spend for a phone.

Cheers,
Michael