[Gta04-owner] Kubuntu-Mobile on GTA04

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Sun Jan 15 09:28:12 CET 2012

Am 14.01.2012 um 12:39 schrieb Boudewijn:

> On Saturday 14 January 2012 03:23:10 David Lanzendörfer wrote:
>> Plasma-Mobile just is Awesome.
> Bed is calling, but not hard enough? :-P
>
>> Now I only need a bigger screen
>> --> @Nikolaus?
> And with the same interface? So we can first swap motherboards, then cases,
> then screens...
>
> I tried a search for TD028TTEC1, and for toppoly in general. I could not find
> out which interface our screen uses, or which (larger) screens are compatible,
> but I did see many overstock offers (mostly 320x240 though).

Toppoly was brought into the new company ChiMei.
And as usual, the business strategy people do a "portfolio cleanup".
This means than only 30% of the original products survive such a merger.

The interface is 1.8-3.3V logic, 3.3V power supply, 18 bit RGB + sync + pixel
clock and a 3-wire SPI variant to program the display controller.

Most other displays I have seen need 3.3V logic levels, i.e. it needs a
level shifter in between. This is what we have done when adding an
Ortustech display to the custom variant shown on the shop page.

Another thing is the backlight driver. Some displays have it on board,
most need to drive some 10-20 mA through m-n LEDs giving a voltage
in the range of 7 - 25 V. This needs a boost-converter that is adapted
to each individual display type to meet the specifications.

So the strategy depends on the device size:

* if you have space, you can add any display and design the interface
to the existing board.

* if you have no space, start with a well choosen display and design the
motherboard to fit exactly this display.

I.e. there is no "one solution for every problem".