[Gta04-owner] 3D printed GTA04 case

Lukas Märdian lukasmaerdian at googlemail.com
Sat Jan 14 16:40:38 CET 2012

On 14.01.2012 12:15, Alexander Lehner wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Jan 2012, Lukas Märdian wrote:
>
>> Hi.
>>
>> On 08.01.2012 20:06, Benjamin Deering wrote:
>>>
>>> This looks promising.  For the next piece, could you do the GTA01
>>> speaker bracket?  I have 2 freerunners and I would mute one of them if
>>> it would let me have stereo sound from my GTA04.  As I understand it,
>>> everyone could use the GTA01 bracket even if they only have one speaker.
>>>

>> The remaining parts of the GTA04 case (including the stereo speaker
>> bracket) are now available for purchase and download at my shapeways
>> shop (http://www.shapeways.com/shops/slyon).
>>
>> They are still untested, though. I ordered them yesterday and they'll
>> hopefully arrive till I've to leave for FOSDEM.
>>

> That's great!
> I will definetly buy this set but probably wait till you have
> beta-tested the parts ;)
> What material did you use?

For the prototype I used several materials:
Battery cover: White Strong & Flexible
Front cover: Frosted Detail
Middle cover: White Strong & Flexible Polished
Speaker bottom: WSF dark grey
Speaker top: WSF red

So we can see and compare all materials in different variants.
I just hope the parts arrive soon enough, that they can be presented at
FOSDEM. They should arrive 1 day before I have to leave to FOSDEM.

> And how much work was it, to make them printable?
> When I tried to print the case some month ago, shapeways told me, that
> there were too tiny parts or distances.

Well, it was 3-4 weeks of work (including learning how to use 3D
software and diving into the 3D printing world).

> Did you encounter the same problem or did they increase their resolution
> in the meantime?

I didn't have such problems. But I re-designed the original CAD files to
have 0.7mm wall thickness at least, which is the minimum required for WSF.

> Regards,
>
> Alex.

Regards,
Lukas