[Gta04-owner] Kubuntu-Mobile on GTA04

Christoph Mair christoph.mair at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 14:47:49 CET 2012

On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 12:39 PM, Boudewijn <wankelwankel at yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Saturday 14 January 2012 03:23:10 David Lanzendörfer wrote:
>> Plasma-Mobile just is Awesome.
> Bed is calling, but not hard enough? :-P
>
>> Now I only need a bigger screen
>> --> @Nikolaus?
> And with the same interface? So we can first swap motherboards, then cases,
> then screens...
>
> I tried a search for TD028TTEC1, and for toppoly in general. I could not find
> out which interface our screen uses, or which (larger) screens are compatible,
> but I did see many overstock offers (mostly 320x240 though).

Our screen uses a simple 18 bit parallel interface. 6 Bits per color
and horizontal/vertical sync signals. In addition there is a serial
SPI like unidirectional interface. To get the screen working we have
to set some display-internal registers which are completely
undocumented. The necessary code is a copy of the GTA02 source.

Most screens do not have such a special interface. They just take the
parallel color information and the sync signals. Then you need a power
supply for the digital electronics and the interface (1.8V in case of
the GTA04) and a second power supply for the backlight (about 10V
IIRC).

Finding a larger display with this specifications is probably
impossible. Just finding a larger display with a nice resolution is
really difficult (remember the minimum order quantity). We are trying
hard to solve this problem. Now that it seems that the community can
build their own cases, we have more possibilities regarding displays
too.

Regards,
  Christoph