[Gta04-owner] Using the GTA04 board in other HW Case

Christoph Mair christoph.mair at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 07:34:56 CET 2012

On Sat, Dec 31, 2011 at 3:25 PM, Oz Nahum Tiram <nahumoz at gmail.com> wrote:

>>I just got an idea.  Maybe it is not very good, but I will mention it
>> anyway.
>
>>Imagine if the GTA04 board could be available for different cases,
>>so that people owning a HTC could "free" their devices....
>
> Hi,
> I actually really like Flemming's idea. One can get a chip smart phone for
> ~100 Euro
> or even less [1] and the you've got all the components-case, battery,
> screen, antennas etc.

There are two problems with this approach. First, the lack of
documentation. While this might be a minor issue for components like
speakers or antennas it gets complicated as soon as you'd like to use
the display. A (often) model specific connector with unknown pinout
makes it very difficult if not impossible to reuse the display. Since
it is a major part of the case and can't be swapped easily it also
does not make a lot of sense to use the other parts because they are
also selected to fit perfectly.
The second problem is the available space. Big companies can get the
newest components which, for example, integrate WLAN/BT/FM/GPS into
one single chip. We had to use three components to get the same
functionality. Then we have a rather big modem for voice and data
calls. It is one of the smalles modules available on the market but
still too big for most comsumer phone cases. The only way to get a
smaller solution is to buy the chipset and build our own modem like OM
did for the GTA02. This requires *a lot* of HF knowledge and support
from the chipset manufacturer which you get only if you order millions
of chipsets.

> If GD would invest some energy in this I'd be considering this 750 Euro
> investment
> less risky.
> I really would like to have the GTA04 usable, since I don't intend to hack
> on it so much,
> so for me and a few friends I might convince to join it will be more
> attractive.
GD is investing energy into creating a new case and finding
replacement parts for all missing components. Community members are
also trying to create cases of different materials.

Best regards,
  Christoph