[Gta04-owner] Status GTA04 GroupTour

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Mon Jan 2 13:30:23 CET 2012

Am 02.01.2012 um 13:06 schrieb Timo Jyrinki:

> 2011/12/30 Xavi Drudis Ferran <xdrudis at tinet.cat>:
>> We're only trying to get 350 subscribers to the group tour, not yet conquering the
>> world.
>
> Yes, I was just (re)iterating possible reasons why even that seems hard.
>
>> It just occurred to me that maybe GD can offer to buy back your GTA02 if you buy
>> a complete GTA04 from stock. So you pay 750 EUR in advance, get your GTA04
>> and once you have it working, you send your GTA02 and get some of that money
>> back when GD receives it and tests it. GD spends some money buying the GTA02
>> but it comes from the complete GTA04 already sold, and keeps the possibility of
>> selling a new complete GTA04 from the bought GTA02.
>
> Now this is something that should have been there from the beginning -
> sounds really good for reaching a bit more of the GTA02 owners. Of
> course there is the problem that new GTA04:s cannot be built until
> some of the GTA02:s have been gotten back, in the worst situation
> leading to a serious bottle-neck of waiting.

The problem with the proposal above is just a simplification of the installation
service if the turn-around time is too high. If it can be kept small (even down
to 15 minutes - see below), there is no difference.

As far as I understood all discussions so far, there is no problem with the
installation service. It is that the groups wanting a GTA04 and those owning
a GTA02 are disjunct.

>> The question is for how much would
>> people sell their old GTA02 ? How many complete GTA04 can still be sold ?
>
> I'd probably just put the complete GTA04-for-a-GTA02 price high enough
> that there is the incentive to "rebate", ie. to get a portion of the
> price back via sending GTA02, instead of forgetting to send the GTA02
> back. Monetarily wise GTA02 probably doesn't value very high nowadays
> as such, but on the other hand new ones cannot be bought (much) and
> it's invaluable in getting oneself a GTA04...

Instead of having a central organization doing this, I propose that
there are local groups doing this. It reduces shipment cost and even
allows that community members to meet in person and help each other.
In that case, an upgrade can be done very fast.

It also solves some customs issues for owners outside the EU. It is easier
to export some GTA04 boards to some local upgrade service than
re-importing each individual GTA02, upgrading and re-exporting.

So where are the former resellers of GTA02 devices? They are
spread over the world and have customer lists. So they could directly
contact their customers if they have unused GTA01/02 devices collecting
dust and offer them local upgrade services.