[Gta04-owner] Battery charge profile

Christoph Mair christoph.mair at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 00:10:17 CET 2012

On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 11:41 PM,  <d0m1n1k at gmx.net> wrote:
> as far as i know the gta04 can run on usb, at least if there isn't too much
> activity.
> wouldn't that be the preferred way once the battery is charged?
> are the components connected in a way that the software can switch between
> power sources?

This behavior should work out of the box (at least it does work with
my device): If I connect the USB cable the power drawn from the
"battery" (my laboratory power supply) drops to zero.

> Am 25.02.2012 22:14, schrieb NeilBrown:
>
> Does anyone know much about battery charging?

> My inclination is that I would rather it didn't get quite that low.  90% is
> about the minimum I feel comfortable with, 95% is probably better.
>
> I can program that voltage cut-off level to anything from 3.75V to 4.1V
> (approximately) in 23.4mV steps.
> 4.1V corresponds to a charge of about 94%.
>
> So to my question:  What is a good profile for a battery to encourage long
> life, or to balance that sensibly with usefulness?

One thing I know is that Li-Ion batteries age faster if they are fully
charged. From a battery perspective it would probably be the best to
keep the charge somewhere between 35% and 70%. Of course this is not
really useful for a mobile device. I would probably target the 4.1V
cutoff voltage.

Christoph