[Gta04-owner] GTA04 thermal imaging

NeilBrown neilb at suse.de
Wed Feb 15 23:01:56 CET 2012

On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 20:43:36 +0100 Christoph Mair <christoph.mair at gmail.com>
wrote:

> The second directory (20120213) contains a picture which was made
> while suspended on the evening of sunday. The next pictures were made
> on monday morning while waking the device from standby by connecting
> the serial line.

Both the first and second of these seem to show a bit of red on the PMIC
(Power Management) and L603 (below and to right) - just on the left of the
centre of the cross-hairs.

L601 and L602 don't have the same colour.  Do others agree with this
assessment?

L603 is an inductor which is part of the feed for 1V8 while
L601 is for VDD1 and L602 is for VDD2.

Among the things that 1V8 feeds is the POP memory.  I wonder if there is some
power-saving possibility there that we aren't using.  I wonder what current
it is expected to draw.  Though it is odd that the POP isn't showing much
colour. It is a hint that might be worth following though.

There is also a bit of red in the top-left and on the left generally.  But
that part of the board is fairly empty.

I wonder what you would see if you left the board in the fridge while
suspended, then brought it out to take a picture.  That might provide more
contrast between where heat is being generated and where is it residual.

Maybe next time.

Thanks,
NeilBrown