[Gta04-owner] Modem crashing?

Boudewijn wankelwankel at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 14 23:30:12 CET 2012

On Tuesday 14 February 2012 13:52:54 Radek Polak wrote:
> Hi,
> i am now playing some more with GTA04's modem. Here is what i am doing:
>
> 1/ Dial GTA04's number from other phone.
> 2/ Let it ring a few times.
> 3/ Hangup on the other phone.
>
> After hangup i get this from kernel:
>
> 	usb 1-2: USB disconnect, device number 2
> 	usb 1-2: new high-speed USB device number 3 using ehci-omap
> 	usb 1-2: New USB device found, idVendor=0af0, idProduct=8800
> 	usb 1-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=3, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
> 	usb 1-2: Product: Globetrotter HSUPA Modem
> 	usb 1-2: Manufacturer: Option N.V.
>
> To me it looks like the modem crashed or was at least disconnected. Can
> someone try this too? It's under QtMoko v39. I will try from console now...

Something did happen today that would be explained by the modem crashing: I
could not receive or place phone calls after the phone woke from suspend with
a "running conversation"

In some more detail:
- I received a phone call (first incoming since boot, had outgoing already)
- Calling party hung up
- I didn't pay attention and put the phone away
- close to two hours later I woke the phone to make a call
- the "phone" dialog was running, with at that moment some 1:45 hour of
connection
- I closed the connection and tried to make calls to several numbers
- later I heard I could not be reached at that time either.
- the battery was running flat by then

Two more things to mention:
- My wife complained about me being hard to understand, and I had difficulties
hearing her as well. It turned out I had been playing with the screen
rotation, and held the phone 180 degrees rotated to my ear... :-P
- Not being able to make or receive phonecalls, I shut down the phone to
replace the battery. "uptime" gave 8:45 hours of uptime. That is on a single
battery with no recharging in between. That's almost "mainstream", is it not?

Sorry I won't be able to check the reaction after dialing in and hanging up,..
Household is calling (I thought to give it a try, but networkmanager is
interfering and kicking down the link every 30 seconds... :-(

Boudewijn