[Gta04-owner] GTA04 thermal imaging

Christoph Mair christoph.mair at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 20:43:36 CET 2012

Hello,

last weekend I could capture a few thermal images from my phoenux. I
have not reviewed them in great detail yet, mostly due to lack of
time. If you want to do you own guesswork, here are the pictures:
http://www.chonyota.net/gta04/infrared/

The first directory (20120212) contains images captured at different
software states. Mostly running (booting up) and a few in suspend. You
can easily identify the suspended state by looking for images with low
overall heat dissipation and just the RS232 interface consuming lots
of current (its the chip in the top right corner). I also did a shot
without serial connection (not so easy to identify because I only
detached the cable from the USB-RS232 converter)

The second directory (20120213) contains a picture which was made
while suspended on the evening of sunday. The next pictures were made
on monday morning while waking the device from standby by connecting
the serial line.

In general, look at the timestamp, then you might figure out why the
head dissipation could have changed so much (or why not).

Till now I did not find some serious issues during suspend. I just
observed that even if my WiFi was switched off, its level shifter uses
some current with a periodically recurring pattern.

If you have questions or comments, please write them to this list. If
you have suggestions or maybe a ready-to-execute thermal test plan,
please let me know. I'll try to rent the camera once again. Its just
too much fun to play with it, unfortunately I was quite busy during
the last weekend and didn't have time to use it a lot. I'm planning to
capture some live videos if I manage to get a S-Video framegrabber in
time. That will be fun :)

Cheers,
  Christoph