[Gta04-owner] Some questions about the GTA04A4

xdrudis xdrudis at tinet.cat
Sun Feb 12 10:33:01 CET 2012

On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 09:21:25PM +0100, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
> > The WiFi/BT chip needs a binary firmware,

I knew

> > but there is a project which
> > aims to replace it: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Thinfirm_1.5

I didn't know. I thought efforts had stalled years ago .
So this is very good news :)

> > I tried their latest code a few month ago and I could load the driver
> > and scan for networks but I did not get a reliable connection. It may
> > be possible to fix the remaining issues to get a working and free
> > firmware.

Mmmm... I'm not skilled to help in that, but it would be interesting to know
what kind of remaining issues were there, and what could be done to
overcome them. I guess if the firmware works in XO then it must be some kernel
issue ? or is it related to hardware differencein wiring or antenna or something
maybe the firmware should transmit with more or less power or something ?
It seems to receive OK if it can see networks.
Is there someone able to work on it, is there possibility to crowfund it ?

> > Of course we would be happy if someone points us to a WiFi module
> > which runs without closed firmware. :)

Yes, yes. But if there is the option to have free firmware for the already
built chip that'd be great.  If someone discovers 20 usable alternative
chips with free firmware that'd be great, but 21 is still better than
20, and it would require less hardware redesign too. So freeing the libertas
8686 firmware for GTA04 would be very interesting.